One of Williamstown’s historic maritime icons will get a facelift this year.
The Tide Gauge House in Commonwealth Reserve will have its masonry cleaned and the mortar repaired as part of a conservation project.
It will also include installation of interpretive signage.
The Tide Gauge House was built about 1857 with labour from prisoners held on the prison hulks moored in Hobsons Bay.
One of three tide gauges imported from England in 1855 were installed in the little bluestone building. They operated through an opening in the wooden floor and were used to measure the tides.
It served its purpose right up until 1943, when silting rendered it inoperable.
The Tide Gaud House was relocated to Commonwealth Reserve in 1955.
It will be great to see the interpretive signage better tell its story.